Sweet & Sour Tofu
We love this tasty sweet & sour tofu dish - it's so simple to make, and great served up with some brown rice, or some soba (buckwheat) noodles.
Tofu is made using soya bean, in the traditional way of curdling, often used for milk and cheese. It's often used in many Asian recipes, and it compliments the sweet & sour flavours of this dish so well.
This dish is packed with protein, is anti-inflammatory, low in saturated fat and can assist with lowering bad cholesterol levels. Tofu also has a well balanced amino acid profile, along with plenty of fibre, potassium, magnesium, iron and copper - tofu really is a power house food, and we urge you to give this one a try and make tofu a weekly staple on your menu!
Grab your ingredients from the list below and follow along with our recipe video!
- 1 block of Firm Tofu
- Corn Starch
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Mixed Spices - add your faves/what you have - we love chinese 5 spice, turmeric, garlic powder.
- 1 tsp Salt
For the Sauce
- 60ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 60g Organic Raw Sugar
- 40g Organic Tomato Paste
- Add some stir fry veggies of your choice. We love - onion, casicum (bell pepper), Zucchini (courgette), and broccoli!
1. Mix together your corn starch, nutritional yeast and spices in a large bowl.
2. Press your tofu block in some paper towel or tea towel to remove excess water. Cut the block of tofu into cubes, and add to the bowl. Toss until all the tofu pieces are coated.
3. Heat some olive oil in a pan, and cook your tofu pieces until crispy, turning regularly. Set aside.
4. Mix together your sauce ingredients and set aside.
5. Chop your veggies, and stir fry on a medium heat with some olive oil for a few minutes, then coat in the sauce.
6. Finally, add your tofu, stir for a few minutes, and serve on some warm brown rice. Sprinkle of sesame seeds optional but delicious!
Super simple, super tasty! Let us know if you give this one a try.