Spicy Black Bean Tacos
Vegan Food & Living Magazine
A delicious Mexican inspired recipe and special offer from our friends at Vegan Food & Living to keep you inspired well beyond May!
These tacos feature black beans as the star ingredient, which are loaded with protein, fibre and nutrient-dense. And with a kick of chipotle chilli, this dish is packed with flavour.
Give it a go and share your pics with us by tagging @no_meat_may on Insta.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
- 2 tbsp chipotle chilli paste (or other chilli paste)
- 800 g/1 lb 12 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 100 g/3½ oz tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 8 vegan taco shells
- 150 g/5½ oz iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion, garlic and green pepper for 5 minutes, or until the onion is softened and translucent. Stir in the tomato purée, chilli paste and black beans and cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and immediately remove from the heat.
3. Place the taco shells upside down on a baking sheet and warm in the preheated oven for 3 minutes.
4. Mix the lettuce and avocado together in a small bowl. Divide the mixture between the taco shells. Reheat the bean mixture if necessary and divide the mixture between the warmed tacos. Serve immediately!