Onion Bhaji Burgers
These Indian inspired Onion Bhaji Burgers are full of onions and spices, and bursting with flavour. They're baked, not fried, so healthier than a traditional onion bhaji, and contain chickpea flour (gram flour) which makes them naturally gluten free, and vegan - so everyone in the family can enjoy!
- 6 medium/large size onions
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tspn salt
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Coriander
- 1 Tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Turmeric
1. Chop onions into thin strips.
2. Add all dry ingredients (flour, chickpea flour, salt, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, turmeric & cracked pepper) to a large mixing bowl and mix well.
3. Add 3/4 cup water - add slowly until thick batter forms.
4. Stir in the sliced onions well until all coated with batter.
5. Coat a baking tray with olive oil.
6. Using a Tablespoon, spoon mix onto the baking tray to form small bhajis for baking.
7. Bake in the oven on 200 celsius for 20 minutes.
8. Flip the bhajis over then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes or until slightly browned on both sides.
9. Serve as a tasty side dish or in a wholegrain burger with hummus, tomato, lettuce & BBQ sauce.