No Meat Balls
We love this No Meat Balls recipe from our Sydney friends, Lasagne for Breakfast. And why not have lasagne for breakfast we say. Anyway, back to the balls!
These meaty balls are served in a rich, red wine and tomato sauce, and are guaranteed to hit the spot. Perfect served with pasta or some warm crusty bread. By swapping out meatballs for plant-based mince and adding in some extra herbs & spices, we get all that delicious meaty flavour whilst giving our animal friends a break. This is one easy vegan recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
- 400g Plant-based Mince (soy or TVP works great here)
- 50ml Soy Milk
- 1 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 70g Breadcrumbs
- 300g Passata (or a tin of chopped Tomatoes)
- Splash of Red Wine
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove, chopped
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Tsp Dry Mixed Herbs
- Handful of Parsley, chopped
- Fresh Basil, to serve
- Salt & Pepper to season
1. To a large mixing bowl add your mince, soy milk, nutritional yeast, parsley, olive oil, a pinch of salt, and breadcrumbs and mix well until all ingredients are combined - you may want to get in with your hands for this!
2. Roll the mince into small, even sized balls - the recipe should make approx 16 meatballs.
3. Add some oil to a frying pan and heat on a medium-high heat, then add your onions, garlic & dried herbs and cook until they start to golden.
4. Add your meatballs to the pan and move them around until browned on all sides.
5. Add a splash of red wine and cook for a further few minutes, until absorbed, then add a tomato sauce of your choice. Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Serve the meatballs with your favourite pasta or with some warm crusty bread, and top with fresh basil for extra flavour - enjoy!