Nadia's Easy Homemade Pizza
Nadia Fragnito | The Vegan Italian Kitchen
This wonderfully easy homemade pizza recipe is courtesy of Nadia Fragnito from The Vegan Italian Kitchen. A tried and true family recipe, you can make 2 large or 3 medium pizzas - plenty for all your friends and family to enjoy! Plus, you won't need cheese or meat to enjoy this pizza!
And join us live on Facebook on May 1, where Nadia will be cooking this pizza as part of our No Meat May Pizza Party Launch!
- 1 kg plain flour
- 1.5 tablespoons dry yeast
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 heaped tablespoon salt
- 700ml warm water
- Oil for greasing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 700g tomato passata
- 1 heaped tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Few handfuls of fresh basil leaves or dried Italian herbs
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Vegan mozzarella, etc.
1. Combine ½ cup of the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes to activate or until it becomes frothy and bubbly.
2. Pour the flour and salt into an extra-large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the liquid yeast and the remaining water. Stir with a fork until combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. Add a dash more water if too dry.
3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough into a large greased bowl and cover with a towel. Leave to rise in a draught-free place to double in size (approximately 1 hour). Meanwhile, make the pizza sauce.
1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over a medium heat and fry the garlic for 1 minute, being careful not to brown. Add remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat oven to 210C.
1. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and cut into thirds. Onto well-greased oven trays, gently stretch out the pizza to fit each tray. This will create a wonderful rustic-shaped pizza.
2. Top with the pre-made pizza sauce and your choice of toppings.
3. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until crust underneath is golden brown.