Recipe from our sponsors, Ferrogen
There is nothing more satisfying than a meat-free twist on those hearty classic dishes, and this lentil bolognese recipe is no exception! Meaty, warming and a real crowd-pleaser, lentils replace the meat for a hit of protein, vitamin B6, magnesium and iron - in fact, it has a whopping 7.7g of iron per serve, which is 42.88% of the RDI for females, and 96.5% of the RDI for males!
Best of all, it's a quick, budget friendly meal that's great for prepping ahead, so you can reheat and eat if you are time poor in the week. We promise you are going to love this one!
- 1 medium brown onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 400g tin brown lentils drained and rinsed well (240g)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried Italian spice
- 2 bay leaves *dry or fresh
- 2 serves dried wholemeal spaghetti (around 85g dried pasta per serve)
Add dark green leafy wilted greens or a side salad of your choice for an extra boost of iron - we love:
- Collard Greens
1. Finely dice the onion, carrot and celery, this can also be done in a food processor pulsing until all finely chopped.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the vegetables for 5 minutes or until softened, add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Add in all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer covered for 10 minutes then uncovered for a further 5-10 or until slightly reduced.
4. Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta reserving ¼ cup of the pasta water, add the pasta and reserved water to the pot with the Bolognese and stir well until everything is coated in the sauce.
5. Serve with fresh basil leaves and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast (for a cheezy flavour).
This recipe is brought to you in collaboration with our sponsor, Ferrogen Iron Supplements
Ensuring your blood iron levels are in the healthy range can help you to feel in your element. Ferrogen Iron Supplements support healthy nutritional choices. When increased iron intake through diet proves inadequate, iron supplementation might be recomended by your health professional.
Always read the label and follow the directions for use.